dnata celebrates a sky full of achievements and innovation on UAE Civil Aviation Day
Dubai, UAE, 5 October 2023: dnata, a leading global air and travel services provider, celebrates UAE Civil Aviation Day and the key contribution its dedicated teams have made to the country’s aviation industry over the past six decades.
Steve Allen, CEO of dnata Group, said: “As we mark Civil Aviation Day in the UAE, it is an honour to celebrate the remarkable achievements of the local aviation industry alongside the authorities, our partners and team.
“Since its foundation in 1959, dnata’s journey has been one of dedication, innovation and relentless commitment to service excellence. We are extremely proud to see how our company and its hardworking teams have played an instrumental role in the success and growth of Dubai and the UAE aviation industry.
“Aviation is a vital driver of economic progress, and we look forward to contributing to the UAE’s further development by consistently providing best-in-class services across our diverse operations.”
dnata was founded in January 1959 with just two staff operating solely as a UAE-based travel agency. Since then, it has constantly expanded its operations and services, growing to become pivotal to the success and growth of Dubai, and of the country’s aviation industry.
dnata’s milestones over the past 64 years include:
- Playing an instrumental part in the design of the original Dubai International airport (DXB) in the 1960s and its three terminals
- The first aircraft turnaround at DXB’s newly-opened terminal in 1971
- The launch of marhaba and its renowned airport hospitality services in 1991
- Its expansion into Dubai World Central airport (DWC) in 2010
- The opening of a new export customer service centre and Cargo Integrated Control Centre at Dubai Airport Freezone (DAFZA) in 2016
- The completion of the UAE’s first “green” turnaround of a flydubai aircraft at DXB in 2019, an achievement made possible by consistent investments in zero-emission, electric ramp ground support equipment.
Having mirrored Dubai’s growth, the dnata Group presently employs over 23,000 staff, delivering world-class services to over 190 passenger and cargo airlines across the UAE. Every day, the company’s customer-oriented professionals assist over 86,000 passengers, handle over 220,000 bags, manage 580 safe aircraft turnarounds and move 1,600 tonnes of cargo in Dubai. Besides, marhaba’s best-in-class Lounge and Meet & Greet services ensure a smooth and memorable airport journey for over 8,000 passengers per day. dnata also provides over 25,000 meals each day through its Alpha Flight Services joint venture in Sharjah and Ras Al Khaimah.
Further to its success in the UAE, dnata took a huge leap forward with the launch of its first overseas operation, Gerry’s dnata in Pakistan in 1993. This strategic move led the way for the expansion of dnata’s global operations through acquisitions, partnerships, as well as organic growth over the past three decades. dnata has evolved into a leading global player in the aviation, catering & retail and travel industries that currently provides quality and safe services in more than 30 countries across six continents.